Thursday, December 1, 2016

Journaling: Beautiful Way to Get You Started and Keep You Motivated!

I confess. I  was one of the world’s worst journal writers. I had read countless books and articles listing the many benefits of journaling and yet struggled with it all the time.

Last year I discovered Jennifer Louden’s book A Year of Daily Joy: A Guided Journal to Creating Happiness Every Day and fell in love with it. It is a beautiful book combining gorgeous pictures and images with meaningful quotes and journaling “assignments”.

What is truly unique is the layout. Combining 3 days in the two-page format for me, took the pressure off needing to write every day. I found I could capture meaningful memories and thoughts on the
Jennifer Louden - amazon.com
page quickly. It removed the procrastination feeling I often had when feeling I couldn’t fill a page with thoughts!

I  found it motivational and inspirational every day. What better way to start or end your day than with a beautiful picture and quote? I also love that the quotes offer a variety of perspectives. Quotes from Kahill Gibran, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Albert Camus, Eleanor Roosevelt and Elizabeth Gilbert grace the pages with elegance.

The author understands that variety keeps us going as well. An example of a daily journaling assignment from June 28 —

Surprise Yourself

We thrive on novelty. In fact, we can lose motivation without a regular does of it. What areas of your life feels bogged down, dull and ho-hum? Maybe your job or your weekend plans? Brainstorm little ways you can freshen up one area: taking a different route to work, trying a new exercise class at lunch time, sign up for salsa lessons with your partner, inviting neighbors to co-create a progressive dinner party. The trick to this tip: Keep trying new things because novelty wears off – fast.

This couldn’t be more true! Until we get into the habit of journaling everyday – it takes about 21 days – the novelty can wear off without the daily motivation.  Jennifer keeps me motivated every day! I love to look at the pictures, ponder the quote and reflect on the daily journaling exercise.

If you are new to journaling and want a great journal and guide, check out Jennifer Louden’s book –A Year of Daily Joy: A Guided Journal to Creating Happiness Every Day



No comments:

Post a Comment