Saturday, November 19, 2016

Love Books? Must-Have App That Can Save You Time & Money!

I love books! I love “e-books” and print books.  You can never have enough books.  But, many times I  purchase a book and never read it. Or, get started and find it isn’t what I need or want at the time. I was just introduced to my new favorite app (website also) called Blinkist.

Photo courtesty of publicdomainpictures.net
Blinkist provides a very cool service — 15 minute or so overviews of books.  Cliff notes for the electronic age! Blinkist provides the summary in both a printed and audible option.  You can even do both — read along!

It is available for computer and as an app – making it very convenient to use.

Convenience is great and Blinkist is upfront noting that the summary does not replace reading the entire book. I completely agree, however, I felt like George in Phenomenon being able to review three books before going to work this morning!

What I am finding Blinkist most useful for is to help me determine which books are a fit for me and my current needs. This morning before work, I was able to listen to three books.  Of the three, The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod, one was on my shelf, not yet read.  It is now at the top of my “To Read” list.  Another on my shelf, borrowed from a friend, is being returned. It just wasn’t a fit for me. And, the third, Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less  by Greg McKeown is on my Amazon wish list for purchasing.

The books are non-fiction and cover a vast array of subjects including business, health and fitness and personal finance. Blinkist boosts a booklist of over 1500 titles. Categories include:

  • Entrepreneurship and Small Business
  • Personal Growth and Self-Improvement
  • Biography and History
  • Health and Fitness
  • Relationships and Parenting

Blinkist offers a free three-day trial and then an annual subscription service for a very reasonable $79.99. I found this very reasonable when I calculate the number of books I purchase each year…and the number that I never read or regret purchasing.

Also, with the short summaries as audios, I was able to listen to a “book” while walking my dog!

If you haven’t checked out this service, give it try for 3 days – FREE!  Hear the summary of the books sitting on your shelf or wish list, you never know what you might learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Explore More with TED Talks - Van Gogh and Mathematics

Learning should never stop! Keeping your mind active and open is key to overcoming fears, uncertainty, and self-doubt. One way I have found...